...promotes through philanthropy the rule of law, access to justice, and law-related education.
TARGETED GRANT FOCUS FOR 2011-2014
RULE OF LAW
CULTIVATE AN APPRECIATION AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE VALUE OF THE RULE OF LAW IN SOCIETY, by:
- Enhancing understanding of the legal system and how it works (role of lawyers, judges, courts – hierarchy
- Enhancing understanding of how the legal system adds value (stabilizes the society)
- Enhancing a person’s ability to identify three important things about the U. S. legal system
- Promoting Virginia Law Foundation’s Law Day programming
- Expanding The Virginia Bar Association’s Rule of Law Project
- Supporting other local and state bar associations as they seek to promote the Rule of Law Project through initiatives within their own communities
ACCESS TO JUSTICE
PROVIDE IMPROVED ACCESS TO LEGAL ASSISTANCE FOR THE UNDERSERVED, by:
- Funding innovative projects that address gaps in legal services where success of
intervention can be measured. Underserved populations may include families, children,
immigrants and others lacking adequate access to, or representation in, the legal
system. Proposals in this area should meet the following criteria:
- Seek to address a clearly defined gap in legal services to the underserved, including but not limited to immigrants, children and families, and others.
- Provide measurable results.
- Support the Annual Legal Aid Conference of the Virginia Poverty Law Center
- Support the Capital Defense Workshop of The Virginia Bar Association.
- Virginia Law Foundation grants will support public service internships through Virginia law schools. For a list of eligible host organizations, click here.
For complete information about our grant program, please visit the following pages:
VLF Grant Guidelines - A description of eligibility criteria and other information.
VLF Vision Statement - A statement of the Foundation's great focus areas with specific target goals referenced.
Grant Awards - Information about grants awarded this year and links to several prior year summaries.
Featured Project - Highlights one of our current projects.