You must not use the Website in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the Website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the Website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
You must not use the Website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is connected to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software.
You must not conduct any data collection activities (including but not limited to scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to the Website without VLF’s express written consent.
Your use of the Website and any personal information you provide on the Website remains subject to the terms of this Privacy Notice.
Photograph and Video Usage
We reserve the right to use any photograph/video taken at our events, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. We may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, etc. Images will not be identified using full names or personal identifying information without approval from the photographed subject.
VLF Collects The Following Information:
- User Provided Information: You provide certain personally identifiable information (such as your name and email address) to VLF when choosing to donate, respond to surveys, or subscribe to newsletters or other mailing lists.
- Cookies Information:When you visit the Website, we may send one or more cookies (a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser. VLF may use both session cookies and persistent cookies (persistent cookie remains after you close your browser). Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser instructions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the Website may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log File Information:When you use the Website, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser language, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. We may use your IP address to: 1) help diagnose issues encountered by our server, and 2) administer our Website.
- Clear GIFs Information:When you use the Website we may use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
VLF Uses Information in the Following Way:
- If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the Website, then we may use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Website.
- We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major Website changes or for donation administration purposes).
- We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP address, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the Website and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences and trends.
- From time to time, we may contact Users to invite them to participate in usability surveys. Participation in these surveys is purely voluntary. Typically these surveys are anonymous and no personal information is requested. However, occasionally, we may request your email address for the purpose of sending you a reward for completing the survey. No personally identifiable information submitted will be shared with people who are not our authorized agents. Data collected through the survey is used to compile information about our members and to assist us in making improvements to the Website.
Disclosure of User Information:
- We do not share your personally identifiable information (such as name or law firm name) with other, third-party companies for their commercial or marketing use, except in the case of certain sponsors of some of our seminars.
- We may share non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with our third-party contractors to assist us in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Website.
- We may release personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information if required to do so by law, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright Law) or respond to a court order, subpoena, or search warrant.
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the Website, in which case VLF may not be able to provide certain services to you. Please contact VLF with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, your consent, or your opt-in or opt-out choices.
Linking Agreements with Other Sites Including Third-party Advertisers:
VLF does not allow other companies, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, to serve HTML-based advertisements within the Website.
VLF’s Commitment to Security of Data:
VLF uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to VLF and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, VLF makes commercially reasonable efforts to secure our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If VLF learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. VLF may post a notice on the Website if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us by emailing email@example.com.
In the Event of Sale, Merger, Acquisition, or Bankruptcy:
In the event that VLF is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from our Users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
Alterations and Updates to this Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically and this will be reflected by the “effective date” below. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received the personal information you provided. Your continued use of the Website constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
For revisions to this Privacy Notice that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of the personal information you have already provided to us, we will attempt to obtain your consent before implementing such revisions with respect to such information.
Date Last Modified:
This Privacy Notice was last modified July 2, 2018.
Please contact VLF with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.